joi, 14 martie 2013



 


Title: The Gambler

Author: Fyodor Dostoevsky


First published in : 1886


No. pages: 240(paperback)





I just want to say I loved the book. The gambling is just the center and all the characters are around it in a wondeful way,their personality showing up with the plot little by little. I was always kept in suspense thing that I loved. You won't regret reading the book. This was my first Dostoevsky one.





In this dark and compelling short novel, Fyodor Dostoevsky tells the story of Alexey Ivanovitch, a young tutor working in the household of an imperious Russian general. Alexey tries to break through the wall of the established order in Russia, but instead becomes mired in the endless downward spiral of betting and loss. His intense and inescapable addiction is accentuated by his affair with the General’s cruel yet seductive niece, Polina. In The Gambler, Dostoevsky reaches the heights of drama with this stunning psychological portrait. (Goodreads)






Well,I read the book in romanian and that's why I don't have quotes. It's a little bit hard to review it like this. I just loved the book from the first pages. Alexsey is a complex character that in the most unexpected times goes to gamble and when that hot blood come to him he won the jackpot. He was truly in love with Polina and from that love a sparkle appeared and introduced him in this addictive world. The psychological portrait is so well centered and amazed me. This mad world where you don't know how to stop absorbed him and in the last instance he lost his personality.He forgot everything,he lived from a day to another and the love for Polina became the love for gambling,hoping one day he will win the jackpot again.




It's sad,but I truly loved the book and I finished it in two days. I was so curious about the plot that I wanted to finish it in the day I started but I had school.The General may be the result of gambling,full of debts while the young Alexey is the newbie in this world full of danger. One of the most interesting characters was the General's mother.She was such an excentric person. All of them waited her to die and then she shows up in a good state at their hotel. She was funny and she became another example of how gambling can rule your mind when she spend a large sum of money at the roulette. I highly recommend this book! Is short and captivating!





Rating: 4.5/5







Add it to your shelf:







2 comentarii:

  1. Iţm in love with my beloved Russia :) I so need to read this one :) It really sounds amazing! Awesome review H :*

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  2. Thanks! :* You have to read it! I loved it.P.S: Ohh,I love that you said H. :))

    RăspundețiȘtergere

Why not leave a comment? ^^

Followers

Stay updated here

Follow by Email

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Pick of the week

Pick of the week

Rating

1/5 Not worthy

2/5 Not for me

3/5 Good

4/5 Thrilling

5/5 Awesome!

Blog Archive

Formular de contact

Nume

E-mail *

Mesaj *

Popular Posts

Award :)

Award :)

I like

Photobucket
Un produs Blogger.